Blue Badges generally allow you to park close to where you need to go. You don't have to drive to apply for a Blue Badge. You can be the driver or a passenger.
On this page:
What you'll need to apply for or renew a Blue Badge
Before you apply for a Blue Badge, you'll need to upload copies of these documents to your online application form:
- Your National Insurance Number.
- Your driving licence number, if you have one.
- The details of your current Blue Badge, if you have one.
- A passport style photograph of yourself.
- Proof of address, such as a Council Tax bill or utility bill dated in the last 3 months.
- Proof of identity, such as passport, driving licence, birth certificate or marriage certificate.
- Proof of eligibility. This depends on how you're eligible for a Blue Badge. You may just have to describe your mobility problems if you're not automatically eligible.
Apply for or renew a Blue Badge
The application process is the same for both first time applications and if you already have an existing Blue Badge. We recommend applying 4-6 weeks before your current badge is due to expire.
You can use the Blue Badge online application form on GOV.UK to apply or reapply for a Blue Badge for yourself, an organisation or on someone's behalf. You can also use it to continue an application you've already started, check the progress of your application, report your badge lost or stolen and report a change in your circumstances.
How to apply for a Blue Badge:
Check if you're eligible for a Blue Badge
- Make sure you've got everything you need to apply using the list in the section above.
- Follow the link below to apply for a Blue Badge on GOV.UK.
- After you've submitted your application, you'll have to pay an application fee of £10. You can pay using the contact details on this page to either pay by card over the phone or by sending us a cheque made payable to Rochdale Borough Council. If your application is turned down, you'll receive a full refund.
- Once you've paid, we'll process your application and get in touch with you within 6-8 weeks to let you know if you application has or hasn't been successful.
- In some cases, we may need you to attend a mobility assessment before we can make a decision. We'll let you know if this is the case and you can organise a mobility assessment with your GP.
- If your application is turned down, we'll tell you why and you can ask us to reconsider your case if you think this is unfair. You can also re-apply if your mobility problems become more serious but we won't consider a new application within 6 months of your last application unless your mobility has seriously decreased.
How and where to use your Blue Badge
You can use your Blue Badge:
Misusing your Blue Badge
The Blue Badge is only for you to use. You should still obey the rules of the road when you're using a Blue Badge. You can face a fine of up to £1,000 for misusing your Blue Badge in addition to any penalties for parking offences.
It's against the law to:
- Use your badge if you're just waiting and not planning on leaving your car.
- Use your badge when it's expired.
- Sell your badge to someone else.
- Use your badge to park somewhere unsafe or where you'll cause a hazard to other road users.
- Let someone else use your badge when they're doing something on your behalf such as shopping whilst you stay at home.
- Let non-disabled people take advantage of the benefits while you sit in the car.
- Let other people use your Blue Badge when you're not there.
Report Blue Badge fraud
If you see a Blue Badge being misused, you can report this to us.
Returning your Blue Badge
You must return your Blue Badge if:
- It's expired.
- You no longer need it, for example because your mobility improves.
- The badge holder has passed away. You can hand this is as part of our
Tell Us Once service
- You find a badge you've already reported as lost. You should return the badge you reported as lost, not the new badge.
- It becomes damaged or faded and you can no longer read it.
You can return your Blue Badge to Rochdale Central Library,
Milnrow Library, or