Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Education provision for young people aged 16-25 (SEN) with high needs

​​​​​​​​If you're a parent, carer or education provider for a young person aged 16-25 with learning difficulties and/or a disability, you can apply for 'High Level Need Funding' to support their education and learning.

This  applies when a young person's additional learning support costs more than £6,000.

We're responsible for agreeing the funding and commissioning any placements, including those with an Individual Specialist Provider (ISP) which may involve residential accommodation.

Process for high needs placements 

How to apply for a placement or funding

Applications for high level needs funding are made by the educational institution that the young person has been offered a place at. The young person must have an Education, Health and Care Plan.

V10 form and guidance for high level needs funding

Applications for high level needs funding must be submitted on the V10 form. If the placement is outside of Rochdale, you'll need to give evidence on why local provision cannot meet the young person's need. Application form and guidance for High Level Needs Funding (148kb doc)

Decision making process

Applications will be assessed at panel meetings, to be chaired by the 16-25 Lead Commissioning Officer and will include representatives from Special Education Needs and Children with Disabilities, Children's Social Care, Adult Social Care and where applicable, the Commissioned Support and Guidance Provider.

High Level Need Funding applications will be assessed against the following criteria, which have been agreed at Council Cabinet meetings:

For all High Level Needs placements
  • The provision will meet the young people's education and learning outcomes.
  • Provision represents effective use of public resources.

For any out of area placements

  • There is no local mainstream provision that is appropriate in quantity and adequate in quality to meet the young person's education and/or training needs.
  • The assessment of the young person's education and/or training needs demonstrates that an essential element can only be provided in a residential setting.
  • There is evidence that the young person has a medical and/or care need that cannot be addressed by local providers and that would prevent the young person from accessing education and/or training that was appropriate in quantity and adequate in quality to meet his/her needs.

Outcomes from the panel will be communicated to the educational institution and relevant partners by the 16-25 Lead Commissioning Officer. Out of area Independent Specialist Placements will be communicated to the young person, their parent/carer and the educational institution.

How to appeal

If the panel rejects an application for 'High Level Need Funding' the young person, parent/carer and the educational provider can appeal by submitting further evidence for consideration at a panel meeting. 

This has to be made in writing to: 

Assistant Director
Early Help and Schools
Number One Riverside
Floor 4
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU 

If the panel meeting rejects the appeal, the young person, parent/carer and/or the educational provider can  then ask for the case to be reviewed by the Independent Appeals Panel.

The Independent Appeals Panel consists of the Assistant Director for Early Help and Schools, the Head of Special Educational Needs and Children with Disabilities and a senior officer from Children and Adult Social Care to ensure consistency of the decision making process.