Composting is using your food and garden waste to make your own nutrient rich compost that you can use to help feed your flowers, plants and vegetables.
FREE compost bins if you live in a rural area
You may be eligible for a FREE compost bin if you meet all the following criteria:
- You live in a rural area of the borough
- You don't have a brown garden waste bin
Buy a compost bin or make your own compost area
- Purchase a reduce price compost bin. We're working with getcomposting.com to offer residents reduced price compost bins.
- Purchase a relatively inexpensive one from a garden centre or large supermarket.
- Create a compost heap in a corner of your garden.
- Build your own compost bin out of old pallets or pieces of wood.
Why composting is important
By composting your garden and kitchen waste, you're reducing the amount of waste going in your food and garden waste recycling bin.
How to waste less
There are many ways you can waste less. By making small changes in the way you buy, use and throwaway not only helps the environment but can save you money too.