Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Apply for planning permission in a conservation area

If you're planning to make changes to your property and it's in a conservation area you may need to apply for planning permission.

How to apply for planning permission in a conservation area

Applications can be made online. To apply:

  1. Ensure you have all the necessary supporting information. Find out what you need to submit with your application
  2. Submit your application.

Apply for planning permission in a conservation area

Do I need planning permission?

You may need to apply for planning permission when you want to undertake development work on your property or land in a conservation area.  

Outside conservation areas, householders may undertake a variety of minor alterations to their property without the need for planning permission. In a conservation area some of these rights might be removed or restricted, meaning that planning permission will be required. 

See a full list of conservation areas in the borough of Rochdale.

Work that usually requires planning permission

  • The demolition or substantial demolition of a building
  • The demolition of the whole or any part of any gate, fence, wall or other means of enclosure where it's:
    • over 1 metre high next to a public open space or highway, including a public footpath or bridleway
    • over 2 metres high elsewhere
  • The installation of chimneys and flues that face or are visible from the highway
  • The installation of microwave antennas and other telecommunications equipment including satellite dishes on walls, roof slopes and chimneys that face and can be seen from highways
  • The conversion of agricultural buildings to residential buildings
  • The temporary use of buildings or land for film-making purposes
  • Installation of microgeneration equipment, including solar panels either on buildings or stand alone, air source heat pumps and wind turbines
  • Advertisements
  • Alterations and extensions to commercial, retail, educational and hospital buildings
  • Work to any tree when the tree has a trunk of more than 7.5 centimetres in diameter measured 1.5 metres from the ground. This includes cutting them down or pruning

If you're unsure whether you need planning permission email 

How will my application be assessed? 

Your application will be assessed on a number of criteria, including:

  • The understanding and appreciation of local style and materials shown in the design.
  • The impact of the proposal on the special architectural and historic character of the conservation area.
  • Design quality. Applications for modern designs and approaches may be supported where a high quality contemporary design respects and enhances the character of the conservation area.



0300 303 8873

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm.
Closed for training Monday 11am-11.30am.

Development Management
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU

RTPI Awards for Planning Excellence