The former Boo Hole landfill site was designated as contaminated land in April 2009. Although there was evidence of gas migrating from the site, investigations did not identify the presence of gas inside properties bordering the site where monitoring had been undertaken.
Boo Hole is located in Heywood between Bury New Road and Bury Old Road, situated approximately 1.5km east of the M66, junction 2.
The 1890s historical maps record a “Sand Pit” in the vicinity of the present day Boo Hole Farm in the northwest corner of the map. This sand pit was subsequently expanded up until the 1960s. Sometime after this the site became a landfill for domestic and commercial wastes, tipping continued until the 1990s when the site was closed and landscaped.
The investigations involved:
- A record search over the type of wastes that went into the site
- Installing boreholes so the ground gases could be monitored
- Taking soil samples to analyse for contamination
- Risk assessments to assess the level of risk
The investigation concluded there was no risk to site users.
Reports completed for the investigations.
|Date||Type of work||Report||Done by||Reference|
|April 2009||Gas Assessment||Letter Report ||Mouchel|| |
|February 2009||Gas Assessment||Letter Report||Mouchel|| |
|October 2008||Bulk Gas Sampling||Letter Report ||Mouchel||Ref 721495/06/01|
|February 2008||Detailed Inspection||Interpretative Environmental Report ||Mouchel||Ref 721495/R/2A|
|December 2007|| Ground Investigation||Factual Report ||Mouchel||Ref 721495/06/01|
|December 2005 ||Landfill Gas Assessment|| ||Greater Manchester Geological Unit ||Ref 4992 |
|January 2005 ||Geoenvironmental Investigation|| ||Leyden Kirby Associates Ltd ||Ref CL-602-JB186-01 |
|August 2009||Remediation Options Appraisal||Boohole Landfill site||Rochdale Environmental Protection Group|| |
|January 2010||Geophysics and topographic survey||Letter, report and plan||Bentham Geoconsulting and Powers Tillman||BGC33 for geophysics|
|January 2010||Remediation proposals||Gas Protection Measures: Boo Hole Landfill Site|| Vertase FL1|| Rev A 2606|
|Remediation Method Statement||Boo Hole Landfill Site||Vertase FL1||Rev A 1131|
|Completion Report||Boo Hole Landfill Site||Vertase FL1||Rev 1131|
Work following determination
- Our application to DEFRA for funding to undertake the remediation works at Boo Hole was successful and the works have now been completed.
- A monitoring period has been completed that has demonstrated the barrier is working as expected.
- The contaminated land register has now been altered to show the former Boo Hole Landfill has now been remediated.