Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Animal health

There are laws in the UK designed to protect the health and welfare of both domesticated and wild animals.

If you're concerned about an animal's health and want to report it please call us.

Report an animal health issue call 0300 303 8871

Animal licences

Animal health and welfare legislation is enforced jointly by the Local Authority and the Department for Environment and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), along with other government bodies and independent organisations like the RSPCA.

We'll license:

  • Horse riding establishments.
  • Dog breeding establishments.
  • Animal boarding establishments.
  • Dangerous wild animals.
  • Animal movements.

Find pet and livestock licences

What DEFRA do:

  • Diseases - Control and surveillance, Avian Influenza (bird flu), BSE, Tuberculosis, Scrapie, Foot and Mouth Disease.
  • National Animal Health and Welfare Strategy.
  • Animal welfare at farms, markets and slaughterhouses.
  • The Pet Travel Scheme.
  • International trade in animals.
  • Animal by-products.
  • Wildlife conservation and biodiversity.
  • Wildlife crime.

DEFRA animal welfare


0300 303 8871

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm.
Closed for training Monday 11am-11.30am.

Public Protection Service​​
Number One Riversid​e​
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU