Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here


A flooded property is one where flood water has entered the property and includes all habitable areas of the property.

Find out about flood warnings in your area

Check for flood alerts with the Environmen​​t Agency ​If you live in an area which is prone to flooding you can register with the Environment Agency for advance warning of any flood danger.

What to do before, during and after a flood

There may be health risks due to water-borne infections, chemical contamination and the psychological trauma caused by the flooding.

It's always worth being prepared and protected for any major emergency including a flood:

​​Report flooding and burst water mains

Report fl​oo​​d​i​​​ng​, manhole covers, drains and gullies using an online form or ring our Floodline on 0300 303 0420. For severe flooding please contact the emergency services by dialling 999 and request the fire service.

Information and advice if you've been affected by flooding

Always check before travelling and make sure neighbours are ok.

Financial support following floods

After the Boxing Day floods 2015 and the floods in November 2016 we provided financial support for affected households and businesses. If you were affected and think you were eligible but never received any help please email

Help with repairs to rented homes

Repairs to rented homes if you rent your home and you're unsure of who is responsible for repairs​.

Help for landowners to reduce flood risk - slow the flow

Funding may be available for landowners who help reduce the risk of flooding in Littleborough and Rochdale through measures like tree planting, water features, dams and walls. We're working with the Environment Agency and the National Flood Forum and want to talk to the owners of land that's close to or drains into the River Roch and its tributary streams.  This scheme is designed to reduce the rate at which water gets into the river by natural flood management.

If you have land that would be suitable, please contact us to discuss opportunities and how we can help make them happen. Email

Insurance advice

Flood Re is a national scheme designed to help provide better access to affordable home insurance for those in high flood-risk areas across the UK. It represents a long-term, sustainable approach to providing home insurance for those at flood risk.

Contaminated waste

Check with your insurance company before disposing of any damaged goods.


Used sand and bags tend to retain contaminants such as sewage and oils when they come into contact with floodwater. Ensure you wear gloves and wash hands thoroughly after handling. Do not place full sandbags or the sand in your household waste. Do not allow children to play with the sand or place it in sand pits due to the risks from possible contamination.

Sandbags can be stored for re-use provided they have not been contaminated by flood water.

  • Wherever possible, store full bags that have not come into contact with flood water in a dry shady place to use again.
  • Sacking material is normally biodegradable and will perish if left in place for a long time. It is therefore advisable to empty sacks and keep them dry for re-use and store the sand in your garden, or yard for future use. 
  • ​​​Please do not place full sandbags in your household waste.

We do not normally supply sandbags to members of the public or businesses for their own use. ​But you can buy unfilled sandbags and a supply of sand from most DIY stores and builders merchants.


Ring our Floodline on
0300 303 0420