Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Street works licence

​​It's an offence under Section 51 of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 to open the highway without first obtaining a licence from us as the highway authority. If you wish to carry out street works or dig on the highway you must apply to us for a street works licence.

Eligibility criteria

We will only consider issuing a street works licence if the following conditions can be met:

  • Street works are marked in accordance with Safety ​​​at Street Works and Road Works​​​​ (Chapter 8, signing, lighting and guarding.
  • Location plan (1:1250)
  • Provision of sufficient traffic management plans and any associated application (eg skips, hoardings, lane closures, road closures).
  • Evidence of the contractors accreditation under the New Roads​ and Street Works Act 1991. Street Works Qualification Register.  Evidence of no less than one operative and one supervisor accreditation is required.
  • Permission to connect is obtained from the utility company on which works are taking place.
  • Sufficient public liability insurance can be demonstrated (at least £5 million) .

For a full summary of conditions from street works licences and ensure full compliance, download the application guidance notes below.

Application evaluation process​​

We will evaluate your application by examining your application form and other documents supplied. If your application is incomplete or incorrect your application will not be processed.

We will inspect the location with you to

  • Confirm location.
  • Traffic management implications. 
  • Suitability of proposals.

We will also inspect the location during the works, at the end of the works and at the end of the maintenance period.

Will tacit consent apply?

No, it is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period please contact us on the details provided.

Apply for a licence​​

To apply for a licence contact the Highways service.

Failed application redress

If your application is unsuccessful, contact us and we discuss your application with you. If you're unhappy with the reasons given you can appeal to the Magistrates Court.​

Related pages


0300 303 8879

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm.
Closed for training Monday 11am-11.30am.

Highways and Engineering Service
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU