Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Skip operators licence

To put a builder's skip on a public road, you need a permit from the local authority. To place a skip on the highway without first applying for and being granted a licence is an offence under The Highways Act and may result in a prosecution. Also:​

  • The skip owner (supplier) has the responsibility to ensure that skips are positioned on the highway in such a way that they do not cause an obstruction to other road users. The supplier is responsible for ensuring that all appropriate regulations are adhered to.
  • It is not the householder or the builders' (contractor) responsibility to obtain the highway permit.
  • If you wish to place a builder's skip on any part of the highway a licence is required from this Authority.
  • A licence can be valid for any period between 1 day and 28 days. For longer periods additional applications should be made. Only one skip will be allowed on site at any one time except in exceptional circumstances.
  • Whenever possible, skips should be placed on the carriageway. If permission is granted to place skips on a footway or grass verge, a deposit may be payable to cover any damage which may be caused.
  • Skips placed on the carriageway require at least four traffic cones on the approach side to guide traffic past the skip.
  • During the hours of darkness, in poor daytime visibility and bad weather, road danger lamps (flashing amber) must be placed against or attached to each corner of the skip. If sited on the carriageway, a lamp should be placed between each cone.
  • Skips placed on the highway must not contain any inflammable, explosive or noxious material, or anything which is likely to cause nuisance to highway users.
  • Contents of the skip must be kept "damped-down", or covered to prevent dust or spillage on the highway. The skip must not be overloaded and must be removed when full.

Eligibility criteria

No provision in legislation.

Application evaluation process

Permission may be given subject to conditions which may relate to the following:

  • Siting the skip
  • Skip dimensions
  • Making skips visible to traffic
  • Care and disposal of skip contents
  • Lighting and guarding of skips
  • Skip removal

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us using the contact details provided.

​Apply for a licence

​To apply for a licence contact the Highways Service.

Failed application redress

Please contact us (Highways) in the first instance.

Licence holder redress

Please contact us (Highways) in the first instance.


0300 303 8879

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm.
Closed for training Monday 11am-11.30am.

Highways and Engineering Service
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU