Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Civil marriage approved venue

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​In Rochdale we are responsible for the provision of registration offices and is the licensing authority for approved venues for civil marriages and partnerships. We are pleased to accept applications for an approved premises licence in respect of venues which meet the required criteria. View current applications for approval of a venue for civil ceremonies

Licence summary

To hold a civil ceremony or wedding at any premises in England and Wales, they mus​t be approved by your local authority. You must be the proprietor or a trustee of the premises to apply for permission to hold civil ceremonies or weddings.

Eligibility criteria

The application must be made​ in writing on the prescribed form and include 2 copies of a plan of the premises which clearly identifies the room or rooms in which the proceedings will occur. The correct fees must be paid on submission of the application.

Apply for a licence

You can apply for a licence by downloading the application pack below.

Download an application pack (258kb pdf)

Regulation summary​

Application evaluation process

  • Your premise will be inspected for suitability before approval is granted and if the application is successful, may be subject to subsequent inspection.
  • Your application and plan will be made available to the public for inspection. You are required to place a public notice of the application at the venue for 21 days in a local newspaper as part of the public consultation process. View current applications for approval of a venue for civil ceremonies
  • To be granted, your application must be in the correct format and your premises deemed suitable. However your application may still be refused if it is felt that there are too may approved premises in the area for the Registrars to attend.
  • The premises must satisfy the local authority on fire precautions and health and safety provisions.
  • If your application is granted, it will be for a 3 year period, subject to revocation.

Will tacit consent apply?

Tacit consent applies to a marriage approved premises licence application if no relevant representations are made during a period of 28 days from the day after the application is received by the Licensing Authority. This target date is known as the 'last date for representation'. The application will be deemed granted after the last date for representation.

If relevant representations are made within the 28 days consultation period, tacit consent does not apply and a public hearing must be held to determine your application. The public hearing will be held within 20 working days after the last date for representation. The hearing date may be extended if the Licensing Authority considers it is in the public interest to do so.


01706 924784 (note: phone lines can be very busy)

Phone: Monday–Friday 9am–4.45pm.
Fax: 0844 963 231

Rochdale Register Office
Number One Riverside
Smith Street 
Rochdale OL16 1XU

Opening hours

Monday–Friday: 9am–4.15pm
(On the last Tuesday of each month, the office opens at 10.30am)
Saturday and Sunday: ceremonies only

Birth registration, death registration and giving notice of marriage – by prior appointment only