Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Hairdressing licence

Find out about hairdressing registration, how to register, what conditions you need to meet and more.

Do I need to register my business?

If you run a hairdressing business in Rochdale borough, you need to register with us.

How can I register?

Please complete the form below and return it to us using the details on the form.

Hairdresser registration application form (184kb pdf)

What conditions does my business need to meet?

You'll need to comply with local health and safety rules.

You may be required to have a copy of the certificate of registration and copies of the our byelaws displayed on your premises. We can make byelaws for hairdressers and barbers relating to the following:

  • Ensuring the premises are sufficiently clean, lit and ventilated.
  • Detailing precautions to be made in relation to protecting against contamination or infection
  • Ensuring that anyone employed in such a business has sufficient training on how to use tools and apparatus and for hygienic working methods.
  • To require insurance to be in place against third party liabilities.

Byelaws relating to hairdressers and barbers (129kb pdf)

How long will my registration last?

Your registration will last for as long as you work in this area and will cover you and the premises you work in.

Does tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted.

If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us using the contact details provided.

What should I do if my application is unsuccessful?

If your application is unsuccessful, please contact us in the first instance using the contact details provided on this page.

How do I make a complaint?

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). 

If that has not worked and you're located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.


0300 303 8871

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm.
Closed for training Monday 11am-11.30am.

Public Protection Service​​
Number One Riversid​e​
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU