Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Gambling act - licensing premises

​​​​​​​Similar to the Licensing Act 2003, the Gambling Act 2005 gives Rochdale Borough Council responsibilities for regulating and enforcing laws for gambling in Great Britain.

Gambling Act 2005

The Gambling Act 2005 has 3 main objectives:

  • Preventing gambling from being a source of crime or disorder, being associated with crime or disorder or being used to support crime.
  • Ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way.
  • Protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling.

It also brought the burgeoning internet gaming sector within British regulation for the first time. A new independent regulatory body was created; the Gambling Commission, which is now the national regulator for commercial gambling in Great Britain.

The Act replaced the Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Act of 1963, the Gaming Act of 1968 and the Lotteries and Amusements Act of 1976. In their place it created 3 separate categories of licence:

  • Operating licences
  • Personal licences
  • Premises licences

Our approach to this area of work can be found in our Gambling Policy Statement.

Gambling Licensing Policy Statement 2019-2022 (600​kb pdf)​

Gambling Licensing Policy Statement 2022-2025 (1.1MB pdf)​

How to apply for a licence

Telephone or email us to ask for an application form or

Download the forms from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport

The Gambling Commission

The Gambling Commission came about as a result of the Act and regulates gaming and certain lotteries.

The Gambling Commission grants operating and personal licences for​ commercial gambling and people working in the industry. It will also regulate certain lottery managers and promoters.

The council as a Licensing Authority

Licensing Authorities are responsible for:

  • Licensing premises for gambling (casino, bingo and betting premises - including tracks, adult gaming centres and family entertainment centres). The Act requires that (except in the case of tracks) only persons holding or have applied for an operating licence from the Gambling Commission may apply to the council for a premises licence.
  • Administering Temporary Use Notices (notices given for the temporary use of premises for gambling purposes).
  • Granting permits for gaming and gaming machines in clubs and miners' welfare institutes.
  • Regulating gaming and gaming machines in alcohol licensed premises.
  • Granting permits to family entertainment centres for the use of certain lower stake gaming machines.
  • Granting permits for prize gaming.
  • administering occasional use notices for betting at tracks.
  • Registering small societies lotteries.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us using the contact details provided.

Failed application redress

Please contact Rochdale Borough Council in the first instance.

If a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice the applicant may appeal against the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than 5 working days from the day of the planned event.

Licence holder redress

Please contact Rochdale Borough Council in the first instance.

Other redress

If a licensing authority decides not to issue a counter notice in relation to an objection notice the chief police officer can appeal the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than 5 working days from the day of the planned event.​


Licensing Unit
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU

Licensing office opening times

You can collect your licences, plates and badges from the office on:

  • Tuesdays, 9.30am-11.30am
  • Thursdays, 2pm-4pm