Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Temporary event notice

If you're holding a small event find out whether you need a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) and how to apply.

Do I need a licence?

You will need a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) if you want to carry out a 'licensable activity' on unlicensed premises.

Licensable activities include:

  • Selling alcohol.
  • Serving alcohol to members of a private club.
  • Providing entertainment, such as music, dancing or indoor sporting events.
  • Serving hot food or drink between 11pm-5am.

You will also need a TEN if a particular licensable activity is not included in the terms of your existing licence.


You must be at least 18 to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN). Your event must:

  • Have fewer than 500 people at all times – including staff running the event.
  • Last no more than 168 hours (7 days).

How to apply

You must apply at least 10 clear working days before your event. This does not include bank holidays, the day the application is submitted or the day the event takes place.

  • You must send a copy of the Temporary Event Notice (TEN) to the police and Environmental Health Service at least 10 working days before the event. If you apply by email, we'll contact them for you.
  • You can only apply for a TEN as an individual, not an organisation.
  • You will have to pay a fee of £21.
Temporary Event Notice​ application form and guidance notes (295kb pdf)


Once you've filled out the form you can either

  • Email the completed form to 
  • Post it to Rochdale Borough Council Licensing, Number One Riverside, Smith Street, Rochdale OL16 1XU.  
  • Bring it in to the Licensing Unit at Rochdale (see contact section for address and opening hours).

We'll acknowledge receipt of the notice on the first working day we received it.

Late Temporary Event Notices

A late Temporary Event Notice (TEN) is usually reserved for when an event has to be moved with very little notice. You may submit a 'late' TEN giving between 9 and 5 clear working days' notice.

If you don’t hold a personal licence, you can serve up to 2 late TENs per year. If you hold a personal licence, the limit is 10. Late TENs count towards the total number of permitted TENs.


The council can't refuse a notice unless the police or Environmental Health object to it. They must object within 3 working days of receiving it, they can only object if they think your event could:

  • Lead to crime and disorder.
  • Cause a public nuisance.
  • Be a threat to public safety.
  • Put children at risk of harm.

If there's an objection we will hold a meeting (called a 'hearing') no later than 24 hours before the event, unless all parties agree that a hearing isn't needed.

At the hearing, the committee will either approve, add conditions or reject the notice.

If the police or Environmental Health object to a late Temporary Event Notice, the notice won't be valid and you can't hold the event.

Number of notices you can apply for

You need a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) for each event you hold on the same premises.

You can get up to 5 TENs a year. If you already have a personal licence to sell alcohol, you can be given up to 50 TENs a year.

A single premise can have up to 15 TENs applied for in one year, as long as the total length of the events is not more than 21 days.

If you're organising separate but consecutive events, there must be at least a 24 hour gap between them.


Please contact Rochdale Borough Council in the first instance (see contact section for how to get in touch).

If you disagree with the licensing committee's decision, you can appeal to your local magistrates' court. You must do this within 21 days, and at least 5 working days before the date of your event.

Displaying your notice

You must keep your Temporary Event Notice (TEN) in a safe place where the event is held.

You must also display a copy of the notice where it can be easily seen.

Fines and penalties

You could be fined if you make any false statements in your application, or face prosecution if you breach the terms of the notice.

If you don't have a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) and carry out an activity that you should have a licence for (or allow your premises to be used for one), you can be fined, sent to prison for up to 6 months, or both.


Licensing Unit
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU

Licensing office opening times

You can collect your licences, plates and badges from the office on:

  • Tuesdays, 9.30am-11.30am
  • Thursdays, 2pm-4pm