If you wish to show, demonstrate or perform a hypnotism act in public you must have authorisation from us.
Do I need a licence?
You must hold a permit to stage a public performance of hypnotism for entertainment purposes - whether live or broadcast.
You won't need a permit if the hypnotism is for the purpose of scientific demonstration or research, or if you are only hypnotising yourself.
To obtain a Stage Hypnotism Licence you:
- Must be competent in the inducement and reversal of a state of hypnosis
- Cannot use any one under the age of 18 in your act
- Must not direct people to behave in an:
- Obscene, indecent, offensive or aggressive manner
- Demeaning way that is unacceptable to the common person
- You must fully reverse the hypnotic state when the performance is over
You may also need to:
- Have an
entertainment licence (Premises Licence) - depending on the venue and the type of performance.
- Hold public liability insurance (£1,000,00 minimum) if the venue's insurance doesn't cover your performance
- Add to any performance poster, advertisement or programme the words "volunteers, who must be aged 18 or older, can refuse at any point to continue taking part in the performance"
How to apply
To apply, complete the application form and return it to us.
You may also need to:
- Apply at least 28 days before your performance (unless you have staged hypnotism at the same venue within the past 3 years without incident)
- Give details of your last 3 performances (when and where)
- Tell the us about any previous refusals of a hypnotism permit or convictions related to staged hypnotism
Once you've filled out the form you can either
- Send completed forms to
- Post it to Rochdale Borough Council Licensing, Number One Riverside, Smith Street, Rochdale, OL16 1XU
- Bring it in to the Licensing Unit (see contact section for address and opening hours)
Please contact Rochdale Borough Council in the first instance (see contact section for details).
Fines and penalties
If you stage hypnotism for entertainment purposes without a licence or break any of the conditions on your permit, you could be fined up to £1000.