Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Street trading consent

Find out if you need street trading consent, how to apply, the conditions you need to meet and how to appeal a decision.

Do I need street trading consent?

You need street trading consent if you want to sell food or household items on the street.

There are 2 types of application:

  1. Food application for street trading consent  -  for any type of food. For example burgers, kebabs or doughnuts.
  2. Non-food application for street trading consent - for type of household item. For example toys or mobile phone accessories.

You don't need street trading consent if you're:  

  • Trading as a pedlar with a licence issued by a police authority.
  • A market trader operating at a licensed market venue.
  • A news vendor selling only newspapers and periodicals.

Who can apply?

If you're applying for food street trading consent you'll also need food business registration:

How to apply

To apply:

  1. Complete the relevant application form and submit it to us using the contact details provided. You'll need to:  
    • Provide evidence that your business is registered with us  if you wish to sell food.
    • Tell us where and when you want to trade. You won't be able to trade in restricted trade zones.
    • Provide 2 photographs of yourself.      
  2. Once we've received your application, you'll need to pay a £925 street trading consent fee at a licensing counter drop-in session or by telephone.
  3. Once we've received you fee, we'll arrange a food hygiene and safety inspection of your vehicle or stall.

Food application for street trading consent (178 pdf)

Non-food application for street trading consent (175kb pdf)

What conditions do I need to meet?

If you're making a food application for street trading consent your business needs to meet suitable food safety and hygiene standards.

Find out about food safety and hygiene for mobile street traders:

Will tacit consent apply?

Tacit consent does not apply. You must wait for us to approve your application before you start trading.

How long will my street trading consent last?

Street trading consent lasts for 1 year or as otherwise specified on your licence.

To change your existing street trading consent or to apply for short-term consent, please contact us using the contact details provided.  Fees will be as follows:

  • Changing the vehicle or stall named in your street trading consent - £54
  • Consent to cover trading up to 2 days at special events - £84
  • Consent to cover trading up to 5 days at special events - £211

How do I appeal a decision?

Please contact us in the first instance using the contact details provided.

Other than a Judicial Review, there is no statutory right of appeal against our decision, but an appeal could be heard by the Regulatory Sub-Committee of the council.  

Fines and penalties

It's illegal to trade without street trading consent.

If you don't obey the conditions placed on your street trading consent:

  • It can be suspended or withdrawn
  • You can be fined up to £1,000.


01706 924114

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.45am-4.45pm.

Licensing Unit
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU

Licensing counter at Number One Riverside​

Drop-in sessions: Monday-Thursday 9.30am-11am and 2pm-4pm. Friday 9.30am-11am.

Collection only sessions: Monday-Thursday 11am-12noon and 2pm-4pm. Friday 11am-12noon.