Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Second hand goods licence

​​​​​​Licence summary

Any person operating a business where all or the majority of their goods sold are second hand must be registered with us (Environmental Health) who will issue a Second Hand Dealer Registration Certificate.

There is no registration fee and the Certificate is valid for three years at which point it must be renewed.

Every person registered as a Second Hand Dealer must keep a register of every transaction made including the date of each transaction, the quantity and description of articles purchased/sold and the name and address of the person from whom the articles were acquired.

The register must be kept for at least 12 months and must be produced on request to any Authorised officer of the Council or to a Police Officer.

Eligibility criteria

When an application for registration under Section 54 of the Greater Manchester Act 1981 is received, Rochdale MBC shall register the applicant and, if the application specifies premises, those premises and then issue to the applicant a certificate of registration.

Regulation summary

There are exemptions from the need to register which include:

  • Organisations that are registered as a charity under section 4 of the Charities Act 1960.
  • A person registered under the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964.
  • The holder of a licence under section 22 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.
  • A person engaged in the business either of financing the acquisition of goods by means of hire-purchase agreements, conditional sale agreements or credit-sale agreements.
  • A person engaged in a business of which the primary purpose is the supply of new unused goods and the supply of second-hand or used goods is incidental.
  • A person dealing in waste paper, cardboard, textiles or plastics in bulk.
  • A person dealing in motor vehicles.

Application evaluation process

On receipt of a completed application form we would issue the Certificate of Registration within 5 working days, by second class post.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period of 5 working days.

You must still comply with the requirements of record keeping as stated in Section 54 of the Greater Manchester Act 1981.

Apply for a licence

To apply for a licence contact the licensing service.

Failed application redress​

Registration will not be refused if the application form is properly completed.

Licence holder redress

None known for this licence.

Consumer complaint​

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, G​OV.UK will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the ​ UK European Consumer Centre.


0300 303 8871

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm.
Closed for training Monday 11am-11.30am.

Public Protection Service​​
Number One Riversid​e​
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU