Middleton Memorial Gardens is a Grade 2 listed conservation area. Regular memorial events are held here.
Address: Middleton Old Road, Middleton M24 4EB.
Facilities at Middleton Memorial Gardens
There's a range of facilities at Middleton Memorial Gardens, including:
- Formal gardens
- Rose gardens
- Seating areas
History of Middleton Memorial Gardens
In 1927 part of the grounds of Park Field house, a 19th century villa on the north side of Manchester Old Road was formally presented to the borough of Middleton.
The land was used to create a garden of remembrance to commemorate the 647 men from Middleton who had lost their lives serving during the First World War.
After the Second World War the names of a further 286 local men who had lost their lives were added to low curved walls on both sides of the original cenotaph.
The garden was laid out with formal paths, high boundary walls and an open loggia to the rear flanking the war memorial.The decorative iron gates to the main entrance were presented in 1949. In 2000 renovation work reinstated a dolphin fountain on the south side of the memorial which had been lost for over 30 years.
Memorials at Middleton Memorial Gardens
Unveiled in October 1927 by Lt Col R L Lees, suffragan bishop of Middleton Richard Godfrey Parsons dedicated the original memorial.
Recently a memorial commemorating Holocaust Memorial Day was set on the left-hand side of the garden. We obtained consent in 2015 to install further granite panels to include the names of those from Middleton who have served and lost their lives in conflict since World War Two.
Commemorative benches were also installed as part of the World War One centenary tributes in 2018.
Lest We Forget