Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Apply for a Temporary Exemption Notice for a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

You'll need to apply for a Temporary Exemption Notice (TEN) if you're taking steps to secure the house you rent out is no longer required to be licensed. For example, your tenant is leaving and you intend to live in the property yourself (Section 86 of The Housing Act 2004).

If a TEN is served on the property, the property will not require a licence during the period for which the notice is in force.

A TEN is in force for a period of 3 months beginning with the date on which it is served unless the local authority receives a further notification for a second application.

How to apply

There is no cost for a TEN and it will commence on the date it is granted.

  1. Complete the application form - you can use the guidance notes on this page to help you complete the form.
  2. Post your original documents to us at the address on this page.
  3. Your documents will include some or all of the following:
    • Contract with estate agent or solicitor for sale of property.
    • Copy of land register or solicitor's letter for property purchase.
    • Planning application number for change of use.
    • Copy of section 21 notice or section 8 notice served on tenant.
  4. We'll aim to make a decision on your application within 28 working days.
  5. Once we've made a decision we'll return your documents by post.
Apply for a Temporary Exemption Notice (opens in a new window)  

Guidance notes for completing a Temporary Exemption Notice

These notes refer to the application for a Temporary Exemption Notice (TEN) for a licensed House in Multiple Occupation.

Step 1 - Before you apply
Only the property owner or manager may apply for a TEN

Step 2 - Your personal details and the property you wish to exempt
Please complete all sections of the form. If the property is owned by a limited company, partnership or charity, an authorised individual may complete this form.

Step 3 - Evidence to support your application
Please provide required documentation and state the reasons why you are applying for a TEN.

It is a criminal offence to knowingly supply information, which is false or misleading for the purposes of obtaining a TEN. Evidence of any statements made in the application about the property concerned may be required at a later date. If we subsequently discover something which is relevant and which you should have disclosed or which has been incorrectly stated or described, your TEN may be revoked or other appropriate action taken.


  • A TEN only applies to one house.
  • You can only apply for a maximum of 2 notices per property. Only in exceptional circumstances will the second TEN be granted.
  • Each notice lasts for a period of 3 months, and the second notice must commence from the end of the first notice.

What happens if your application is refused?

If the local authority decides not to serve a TEN in response to a notification they must inform the applicant of:

  1. The decision.
  2. The reasons for it and the date on which it was made.
  3. The right to appeal against the decision.
  4. The period within which an appeal may be made. The person concerned may appeal to a residential property tribunal against the decision within the period of 28 days beginning with the date on which it was made. See disputes for Houses in Multiple Occupation.         


Related pages

  • Landlord licensing - a comprehensive set of information to help you meet the standards.


01706 926223

Phone: Monday-Friday 9am-5pm.

Private Sector Housing
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU