Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Claim benefits

Criteria for claiming Housing Benefit

After Wednesday, 16 May 2018 you can only claim Housing Benefit if you meet one or more of the following criteria. If you don't meet these you'll need to claim Universal Credit to get help to pay your rent.

  • You live in temporary or specified accommodation.
  • You're single and over state pension credit age, or are part of a couple who are both over state pension credit age. If you are part of a couple where only one of you is below state pension credit age, you must claim Universal Credit to pay for your housing costs instead.
  • Within the last month you've been paid a Severe Disability Premium in your benefits. You may have had this if you get Personal Independence Payment, Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance or Armed Forces Independence Payment.

Find out how to apply for Universal Credit

Calculate and claim Housing Benefit

​​Use the calculator for an instant estimate of how much benefit you may be entitled to, then you can choose to make a claim. Your estimate will be based on the information you've supplied. 

If you or your partner have savings over £16,000 between you, we can't award any Housing Benefit or Local Council Tax Support, unless you get Pension Credit - Guarantee.

Information you may need to support your benefit claim.​

Benefit processing times and service standards.

Calculate and claim Housing Benefit, Local Council Tax Support and Seco​nd Adult Rebate​

View your Housing Benefit claim and payments     

You can sign in to MyAccount to view your Housing Benefit award, view your payment schedule, see any previous payments made to you, report changes, sign up for email notifications and see if you've any overpayments outstanding.

To view your benefit claim:

  1. Sign in or register for MyAccount using the link below.
  2. Add your benefits account, if you haven't done so already. You'll need your 9 digit benefits reference number which you can find on your notification letters. You'll also need to answer a few security questions.
  3. From your online benefits account, follow the link for view your benefit payments.
Sign in or register for MyAccount to view your benefit claim


0300 303 8870

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm.
Closed for training Monday 11am-11.30am.

Postal address
Revenues and Benefits Service
PO Box 490
Rochdale OL16 9AJ


MyAccount logo.

Did you know you can use MyAccount to access your Council Tax and benefit services? It's free to use, safer and you'll be able to access your account whenever you'd like.

Council Tax services include:

  • Set up or amend your Direct Debit details
  • View or change your instalment plan
  • Report a change of address
  • Check your Council Tax band
  • Apply for a single person discount
  • Check your Council Tax balance
  • Sign-up for e-Billing

Benefit services include:

  • Check your benefit entitlement
  • View benefit payments
  • Report a change of circumstances

Register or sign in to MyAccount (opens in a new window)