Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Council Tax banding appeals

It's free to challenge or enquire about your Council Tax band from the Valuation Office Agency (VOA).

They can tell you how your Council Tax band has been worked out and can review your band if you think it's wrong. If they agree it's wrong they'll revise your band and let us know. We'll then update your Council Tax bill.

You can challenge a Council Tax band by:

  • Asking the VOA to check it, if you think your home was valued incorrectly.
  • Making a formal challenge to the VOA. You can only do this in certain circumstances, for example: if your property has changed significantly since it was valued.

You must continue to pay your Council Tax bill while you challenge your band.

More about Council Tax appeals on GOV.UK


0300 303 8870

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm.
Closed for training Monday 11am-11.30am.

Postal address
Revenues and Benefits Service
PO Box 490
Rochdale OL16 9AJ