Last updated: Wednesday, 28 April 2021
Please note: the following notice provides additional privacy information to the
Rochdale Borough Council privacy notice.
We have a legal duty to provide a comprehensive and efficient library service. People can become a member of the library to access these services.
The services provided by Rochdale Library Authority and covered by this policy include Request and Collect, Doorstep Service, Events and Groups.
What personal information we collect
We collect personal information to make sure that we can carry out our work. The personal information we collect includes:
- Address and contact details including email address
- Age and date of birth
- Marital status
- Identifiers such as a utility bill or driving licence
- Financial information such as bank details
- Health or disabilities
- Membership number
Who we collect personal information about
When we collect personal information it may be about:
- Customers, service users and residents
- Family such as parents, children or siblings
How we use personal information
We use your personal information to:
- Maintain accounts and records
- Support and manage employees and volunteers
- Develop services and plan events
- Promote the services we provide
- Process applications, requests and appeals
- Manage membership
- Manage complaints
- Undertake investigations and audits
Why we use your personal information
We're required by law to provide a comprehensive and efficient library service. This is detailed in legislation and guidance including:
- The Public Libraries and Museums Act 1964
We're allowed to process personal and sensitive data for the following reasons under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Articles and the Data Protection Act:
- To comply with a legal obligation
- For a public task or statutory function
- Where there is substantial public interest
Who we share your personal information with
We collect information from and disclose information to individuals and organisations that can support our work including:
- Library members
- Customers and their families
- Council departments
- Other public bodies or authorities such as another council library
When we make an automated decision about your personal information
This service doesn't make any decisions using computers or programmes that don't involve a human being when using your personal information.
How long we keep your personal information
We keep personal information collected as part of this process for a minimum of 6 years from the date of collection, or for an additional length of time if necessary.
When we transfer your personal information beyond the European Economic Area (EEA)
This service doesn't transfer your information outside the EEA.
We do not routinely share data with any organisation outside the UK, but our website is available across the internet and we communicate with applicants and stakeholders wherever they are.