The Responsible Retailers Scheme is aimed at retailers who sell age-restricted products, including alcohol, cigarettes and knives.
Retailers who've signed up to the scheme
Retailers around the borough have already signed up and made a commitment to be responsible retailers.
Join the Responsible Retailer Scheme
If you'd like to join the scheme:
- Email us to arrange a visit or call 01706 924145 and an officer will get back to you.
- At the visit, we'll guide you through the criteria and the application form.
- Once you're signed up, we'll give you some guidance material to display in your premises.
Rules of the Responsible Retailer Scheme
As a responsible retailer you must:
- Abide by all legislation relating to underage sales.
- Operate a Challenge 25 policy when selling any age-restricted products, only accept bona fide forms of identification as proof of age (for example, passport or driving licence) and refuse sale if this can't be provided.
- Keep an ‘identification log’ up-to-date with a record of any sales or attempted purchases where identification was requested.
- Attend any training event or forums run by the scheme.
- Ensure staff receive regular training on legislation relating to age-restricted products and keep an up-to-date record of training given to staff members.
- Clearly display signs required by legislation, stating minimum age requirements for the products you sell, for example, statutory notices for tobacco products and fireworks.
- Understand that test-purchasing of age-restricted products could be carried out at your premises at any time.
Why join the Responsible Retailer Scheme
In return for joining the Responsible Retailer Scheme, you'll:
- Receive 6 monthly newsletters to provide you with support, advice and updates on legislation.
- Provide advertising material for you to display in your premises.
- Promote the responsible retailers scheme and its members.
Report a retailer for selling to underage customers
If you think a retailer may be selling age-restricted products to underage customers, you can report it to us using the contact details on this page.
Aims of the Responsible Retailer Scheme
The scheme aims to:
- Encourage retailers to be responsible when it comes to selling age-restricted products.
- Reduce crime, antisocial behaviour and poor health which may be related to the use and abuse of age-restricted products.
- Protect customers from harm.
- Give customers peace of mind when shopping.