We update and maintain our local land charges register. The register holds information about:
- Planning permissions or conditions which will affect your use of the property or land.
- Financial charges or debts which you'll become liable for if you buy the land.
- Proposals to build new infrastructure in the surrounding areas, such as a new road or train track.
- Trees on the property which are protected by a Tree Preservation Order.
- Who maintains the road and footpath outside the property.
- Whether the property is a Listed Building.
- If the house or land is in a conservation area.
Why request a local land charge search
When you buy a property or a piece of land, it's important a local land charge search is carried out so you can find out if there are any issues affecting the land or property.
A local land charge search prevents you from buying a piece of land or property without knowing about the restrictions, charges or obligations that come with it.
Conduct a personal local land charge search
. In light of the current situation, COVID-19 access to Number One Riverside by the public is no longer permitted. We're currently working on a solution for the provision of Personal Searches and will update this website as soon as possible.
Anyone can carry out a search of the local land charge register FREE of charge. The inspection of the local land charges register can be viewed and notes of the relevant information can be made from the self-service system which is situated in the central reception area at Number One Riverside, Smith Street, Rochdale OL16 1XU. Find Number One Riverside.
- No appointment is required
- The system is available 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday
- Assistance can be given when logging on by customer advisors in the central reception area
- The agent must interpret the information given and the officers of the Council are not obliged to interpret the information on their behalf
Request an official local land charge search
You can ask us to search the local land charge register for you. You'll get an official report from us which all banks and mortgage providers will accept.
If you ask us to conduct an official search and then you become liable for any charges, restrictions or obligations which didn't show on our report when they should have, you'll be compensated for your losses.
To request an official local land charge search:
- Your solicitor will usually request a search for you, however, you can also request a search yourself.
- Buy an application form for the type of search you would like to request. To do this, view the types of official searches in the section below then buy the form you need for your type of search from a reputable stationary shop.
- Complete the application form and email it to us.
- View the fees below then post us a cheque for the correct fee made payable to Rochdale Borough Council using the postal address on this page.
- We aim to email you a report listing the results of the search within 14 working days.
Types of official searches
An LLC1 search contains any charges, restrictions or prohibitions registered with us. Everything listed on this search will transfer to you if you buy the property or land.
Fee: £115 without VAT, £158 with VAT
A CON29 search contains information about road schemes, planning and building control history as well as any legal notices that may affect the property or land.
CON29 optional search
Fee: £30 without VAT, £36 with VAT
You can ask for a CON29 additional in addition to the CON29 search. This includes all the planning application proposals we've received for the property or land. It also includes any restrictions to connecting or adjacent properties and land.
Common land search
Fee: £20 without VAT, £24 with VAT
This will let you know whether the land you'd like to buy is registered as common land. Everyone has the right to access common land even if you own it.
More about common land on GOV.UK.
A water report will tell you what pipes and drainage systems are in, around or under the land or property you want to buy.
ask United Utilities to conduct a water search for you.
Coal mining search
A coal mining search will give information about coal mining activity near the land you want to buy.
ask The Coal Authority to conduct a coal mine search for you.
Annual Statement of estimated costs – Regulation 9
By law, we have to give reasonable advice and assistance to an applicant or prospective applicant at a reasonable price. This information provides the basis on which we set the fee for a Con29 search under Regulation 9 of Section 165(7) of the Housing Act 2004.
The following estimates of costs and search volumes have been used to calculate the Land Charges Fees for the Financial year 1 April 2014 to 31 March 2015.
|Expenditure ||Original budget 2014-2015||Actual budget 2014-2015|
|Supplies and Services||2,350||3,790|
|GIS and other Software||13,000||13,000|
Estimated income and budget from Land Charges fees for 2015-2016 Financial Year is £181,954.
|Search Type||Number of searches|
|Number of searches|