There are 2 ways you can access burial records in Rochdale borough. You can browse burial records in person or ask us to search for a burial record.
Browse burial records in person
It's FREE to browse burial records in person. If you'd like to print a copy of a record, it costs 80p for each print.
You can view burial records for all cemeteries and churches in the borough on microfilm. Records are held at Heywood Library, Middleton Library or Local Studies Library - Touchstones.
How can I view burial records?
To browse burial records in person:
Download the parish register index to view the records we hold on microfilm and find out which library holds the records you'd like to view.
- Go to the library which holds your records. We can't transport them to your local library. We advise you to book a microfilm reader in advance by ringing the library to avoid disappointment.
Library contact details, opening times and directions
- When you get to the library, ask a member of library staff to help you locate the records you're looking for.
- You can then use a microfilm reader to browse the records.
Ask us to search for a burial record
It costs £41.30 to ask us to search for a burial record.
You can ask us to search our burial records for you. We'll give you as much information as we hold in our records. This could include a copy of the listing in the burial register, grave number, who else is buried in the same grave and a map showing the location of the grave in the cemetery.
How do I request a burial record search?
To request a burial record search:
- Contact us using the details on this page. For us to be able to locate the record you're looking for, you'll need to tell us the following information when you contact us:
- Full name of the deceased person
- Approximate month and year they died
- The cemetery where the burial took place, if known
- You can pay for the search by credit or debit card over the phone or in person or by sending us a cheque made payable to Rochdale Metropolitan Borough Council.
- Once we've received your payment, we'll search our records and email you all the information we find. If you don't have an email address, we'll post the information to you instead. We aim to do this within 7 working days.
What burial records can we search?
You can ask us to search any records we hold for:
- Dearnley cemetery. 1894 - present day.
- Heywood cemetery. 1856 - present day.
- Middleton old cemetery. 1862 - present day.
- Middleton cemetery and crematorium. 1912 - present day.
- Rochdale cemetery and crematorium. 1855 - present day.