Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Birth certificate amendments

Re-registration means making a new record in the birth register. A birth can be re-registered at any time by the natural parents. It can be done at any Register Office in the United Kingdom.

When you may need to re-register a birth​

There are 2 situations that may result in you asking for your child's birth to be re-registered:

  • If your child was originally registered with no father’s details in the entry and you have not married since but you now wish to add them, a new birth record can be made to add the natural father's name and details. Please be aware that in this case both parents need to attend the re-registration appointment together. Complete and return form ​GRO 185.
  • If you have married the other parent of your child since the birth (even if the natural father's details were originally entered in the birth register), you are legally required to re-register the birth. The new entry will show the new status of both you and your child. Complete and return form LA1


01706 924784 (note: phone lines can be very busy)

Phone: Monday–Friday 9am–4.45pm.
Fax: 0844 963 231

Rochdale Register Office
Number One Riverside
Smith Street 
Rochdale OL16 1XU

Find Number One Riverside on a map

Opening hours

Monday–Friday: 9am–4.15pm
(On the last Tuesday of each month, the office opens at 10.30am)
Saturday and Sunday: ceremonies only

Birth registration, death registration and giving notice of marriage – by prior appointment only