From 1 January 2021, Rochdale Register Office will no longer be located within Rochdale Town Hall.
We'll add information about where the register office will be based to this page as soon as we have the details.
You need to register your baby to get a birth certificate. You can then use this to claim Child Benefit and any other family-related benefits.
When to register a birth
You must register the birth within 42 days of the child being born.
Who can register a birth
Who can register a birth depends on the individual circumstances of the parents.
See who can register a birth on GOV.UK
Where to register a birth
You can register a birth with us at
Rochdale Register Office,
Langley Children's Centre or
You should register a birth with us if:
- The birth took place in Rochdale borough, whether or not the mother lives in Rochdale borough.
The birth took place in Oldham and the mother lives in Rochdale borough. You've also the option to register the birth in Oldham instead.
Register a birth in Oldham.
The birth took place in Manchester and the mother lives in Rochdale borough. You've also the option to register the birth in Manchester instead.
Register a birth in Manchester.
How to register a birth in the borough of Rochdale
- Ring us to make an appointment at Rochdale Register Office during the opening hour listed on this page, or at Langley Children's Centre and Heywood library on alternate Tuesday mornings.
- Take all the information you need to the appointment and one form of identification.
Visit GOV.UK to find out what you need to bring
- At the appointment you'll be given a copy of register page. Please check it's correct. If you find a mistake after it's signed you'll need to apply for a correction and pay a fee.
- You'll be asked to sign the register page.
How much it costs
It's FREE to register a birth. However it costs:
- £11 to purchase a standard birth certificate at the time of registration. Central government set the price for certificates.
- £75 to apply for a correction if you find a mistake on the birth certificate after it's signed. Or £90 if the correction needs to be considered by the Registrar General.
You can pay for another copy or a replacement copy of the birth certificate at any time after registering.
Apply for a copy birth certificate.