A copy certificate is a certified copy of a birth, death or marriage register entry.
Since 1837 we've been responsible for recording all the births, deaths and marriages which take place in Rochdale borough.
Certificates you can get from Rochdale Register Office
You can get birth, death and marriage copy certificates from us for the following areas:
If the birth, death or marriage took place outside of the borough, you'll need to apply for a copy certificate from the council responsible for the area where it took place, instead.
Apply for a copy of a certificate
You can apply for a copy birth, death or marriage certificate using either our priority service or our standard service, depending on how quickly you need the certificate
Please note: central government set the fees for copy certificates.
Priority service copy certificate application
If you need a copy certificate within 5 days, apply using our priority service. Available Monday-Friday only.
- You can apply online or over the phone. To apply:
Online - complete and submit the relevant application form below. You'll still need to ring us to pay for the fee.
Over the phone - ring us using the contact details on this page.
- It costs:
- £35 if you apply on online.
- £40 if you ring us to apply.
- If you apply online, ring us to pay the application fee by credit or debit card. Please wait at least 2 hours after your submit your form before ringing. You'll need to pay within 2 working days or we'll cancel your application.
- If we receive your payment before 3pm, we'll post your certificate within 24 hours.
Standard service copy certificate application
To get a copy certificate after 5 working days, apply using our standard service.
- Apply online. Complete and submit the relevant application form below. You'll still need to ring us to pay the fee. Please wait at least 2 hours after you submit your form before ringing. You'll need to pay within 2 working days or we'll cancel your application.
- It costs £11 per certificate.
- Once you've paid, we'll post it out after 5 working days using 2nd class post.
Application forms to apply for copy certificates
Use the relevant online application form below to apply for a copy certificate using our priority or standard service.
Information you'll need to apply for a copy certificate
You'll need to tell us your name and address, your reasons for wanting the certificate and your relationship to the person or people listed on the certificate.
You'll also need to know:
The full name of the person, date of birth, place of birth and names of the parents and mother's maiden name.
The full name, marital status and occupation of the deceased, the date of death and the place of death.
The full names and ages of both people at the time of the wedding, date of the wedding and place of the wedding.