Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Housing for armed forces personnel

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Rochdale Boroughwide Housing (RBH) is the principal social landlord in the borough of Rochdale. They manage the housing register for 8 other social landlords operating in the borough, who also provide social rented housing. All available homes are advertised each week on their HomeChoice website.

Here's how RBH can help with housing needs for armed and ex-armed forces personnel and their families:

  • You only need to apply once to be considered by most social landlords in the borough of Rochdale.
  • They're happy to discuss housing needs and would encourage anyone applying for housing with them to provide full details if they are a member or ex member of the armed forces.
  • Their HomeChoice staff can assist applicants in completing a Housing Application Form. RBH recognise that no local connection is required to enable Armed Forces personnel and their families to be rehoused within the borough. Any applicant with a medical condition or disability who is serving or has served in the forces is provided with support to obtain suitable accommodation for their needs and awarded the higher priority if necessary. 
  • RBH provide support at every stage of their rehousing or tenancy. It's important to RBH that they rehouse serving or ex-service personnel and their families in suitable accommodation and especially those who have a disability into properties that will suit  their long term needs. Partnership working with Adult Care and other Rochdale Borough Council Services is important to achieve this.
  • Local connection criteria is not applied for members of the armed forces, or those discharged within the last 5 years.
  • People leaving the armed forces are automatically placed in band B of the housing register, giving them priority over the vast majority of those who apply. If they have other needs such as being homelessness, they could be assessed as band A, hence given additional priority.
  • They have a good relationship with the British Legion to provide support and items such as furniture if required. They have on a number of occasions managed to obtain assistance from them to help Armed Forces Members with requirements including removal costs, minor adaptations, clearing rent arrears, and general support.

Contact RBH to discuss your housing needs​

Other ways of finding a home

If you've served in the armed forces and need some help finding a home for you or your family the links to organisations on this page may help you.

  • Find a local home Options for buying or renting a home in the borough of Rochdale.
  • Military families being helped by homeownership schemes Government schemes to help military families.
  • Homes for women with a service connection Stepping Stone Homes provide the time and space that a separated family needs to reflect before moving on or reconciling a difficult marital situation. They'll also help you sort out benefits, apply for housing, enrol your children into new schools amongst other things.
  • Advice and support through the Royal British Legion We have an arrangement with the local Royal British Legion, whereby all armed forces applicants for housing are referred to them. The British Legion provides advocacy and assists them with a range of issues in addition to housing advice, for example finance and health.
  • Citizens Advice - Housing options for people leaving the Armed Forces, veterans and their families
  • Adaptations and equipment for your home If you're disabled or are experiencing difficulty with daily living activities, we can help you to remain living independently and safely in your own home. There is a range of equipment and adaptations available to help with a variety of day to day tasks, from large equipment like hoists to smaller things such as hand rails.
  • The MOD Army Provides subsidised accommodation for its servicemen and women. Visit their website for details of service personnel entitlement to service accommodation and removals for personal possessions on assignment to a new area.
  • The Naval Families Federation Provides details of service families accommodation, short term accommodation and other housing options.
  • The Royal Air Force Families Federation Provides details of Service Family Accommodation (SFA) and Single Living Accommodation (SLA) and civilian housing options.
  • The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA) Offers advice and assistance to anyone eligible for their help, whether they are serving or ex-service, or a family member of someone with a service connection. The SSAFA also provide housing and residential home facilities.
  • Veterans UK Provides advice regarding the help available to ex-service personnel who are homeless or are threatened with homelessness.


01706 924279

Phone: Monday-Friday 8am-6pm.

Out of hours emergencies​

Number One Riverside
Floor 2
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU